Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Мелник и Роженски манастир (Melnik and Rozhen Monastery)

A couple weeks ago, I enjoyed a long weekend in Мелник (Melnik). While there, I briefly visited the nearby Роженски манастир (Rozhen Monastery). There's been plenty written about both places by others, and I don't really have much to add. The area is known for three things: outstanding wine (apparently the local stuff was Winston Churchill's favorite, and he bought 500 liters annually); interesting architecture; and unique, natural sandstone pyramids. None of those three things is enough to lure me back, but, surrounded by friends, I can't think of another place I'd have rather been.

Here are some shots of and from around town.






















As much as I enjoyed hanging out with friends in Melnik, the highlight for me was a two hour walk from Rozhen to the Rozhen Monastery and then Melnik. Glorious weather, fall colors, amazing sandstone pyramids ... it was brilliant.
















2 comments: